Chinese Language Courses – Marco Polo
Marco Polo is the Chinese language program designed to help students speak, read, write and learn Chinese language, culture, and history. XIS Chinese faculty are university trained and native Chinese speakers. All students at XIS receive instruction in Marco Polo classes. Students are grouped appropriately by grade level and ability. Grades 9 -12 grades earn one academic credit each year of Chinese language.
Marco Polo Advancement Tests occur yearly at the same time as High School Credit by Examination (CBE) exams. During specific times in both 1st and 2nd Semester, the Marco Polo Department will announce Marco Polo Advancement opportunities to see if students are ready to move up a class. This only applies with the current and potential next teacher’s recommendation to take the Advancement Test. The Marco Polo Department reserves the right to deny access to advancement due to:
- Low score in class
- Behavioral issues (including, but not limited to, disinterest and disrespect towards the teacher and/or content)
- Administration disapproval of advancement
Marco Polo Advancement Requirements:
Students may advance out of the Marco Polo program providing they meet the following requirements:
- Make a formal request to the Marco Polo Lead Teacher and XIS Administration.
- All costs related to advancement will be the responsibility of the student & family.
*9th Grade CBE
- Semester 1 ¥100/ MS Marco Polo content is different from HS Marco Polo content
- Semester 2 ¥250/ HS Marco Polo content